Monday, March 1, 2010

Portfolio - Vollrath Speakeasy Tour

This was created for NUVO and I believe it was the last video I did for them. It was a bizarre time. Katie shot it and I attempted to direct the interview, though the subject had a bit of a mind of his own which we're pretty used to. The Vollrath is a very old bar in a very bad part of Indy. We tried to capture some of the band that performed as well, but the sound quality of the bar mixed with the screaming metal quality of the band didn't really capture on tape so well. We got a tour of the basement from one of the workers (who also explained what a speakeasy is somewhat inaccurately which kind of stinks) and tried to capture the environment the best we could. It was kind of a whirlwind tour and definitely difficult to edit it cohesively.

I decided to open the video with some of the goings-on of the bar itself to show what it's like today, and a little bit of the only good audio we got from the band. I used the audio as a segue into the basement where the speakeasy was, and since the quality got bad, it was nearly unusable after that point. Rather than scrap it, I decided to EQ it so it sounded dull and as though it were coming from above, like it actually sounded when we were walking around down there. It made for a rather creepy effect.

There are a ton of cuts with the audio because our guide kept going off on tangents, both interesting and not that interesting. The raw footage I dealt with did not show any signs of life and I thought maybe after the initial review of the footage that we wouldn't find anything compelling in it. But after a little thinking, I came up with the structure you see now and I feel like if someone is interested in the Vollrath, this will serve them well.

No comments:

Post a Comment